How Does Reading Shape You as a Person?

I just love this essential question.  It defines for me how I have developed as a reader.  In my earlier years of education, I may not have even understood this question or even have been able to consider a response.  Today, reading really does shape me as a person. Many of us have explored how empathizing with characters molds us into being better people.  We are able to vicariously experience situations that allow us to see new perspectives. On the flip side, with informational text, research empowers us with knowledge.  Knowledge helps us make better decisions, plan appropriate steps of action in order to optimize time and resources, or avoid some potential mistakes.

While I have grown tremendously from reading, I don’t do all of the my learning from reading by myself.  Just as discourse is important in the classroom for student growth, it is important outside of the classroom for our own development. It is with a group of critical friends that I am able to come up with some of my best ideas. The word critical can have a negative connotation, however, here it is aligned with the definition that involves analysis: seeking merit and faults.  A critical friends group is a group of educators who gather to carefully inspect, discuss and evaluate current practices in an effort to make improvements.   This group of teachers can be of varied levels or assignments, but share a common interest in education.  The bonus is that these members are not only colleagues, but friends as well.

When I am with this group of educators, we talk, laugh, and wonder as we share heartfelt celebrations and concerns.  Currently, we are delving into a shared read: From Striving to Thriving: How to Grow Confident Capable Readers by Stephanie Harvey and Annie Ward.  It is in our discussion of this resource that this essential question was born. How Does Reading Shape You as a Person? Pondering this question is one that I could revisit regularly and continue to develop my answer.  If I were in a classroom today, this is a  question that would be an ongoing focus for my classroom all year long.

Currently, we work as  grade level teams, a building team, and a district team.  It is at times difficult to carve out time for ourselves and our own learning.  Maybe a critical friends group could be a way to connect on a personal and professional level with some colleagues.   We encourage you to reach out to other educators to create or enhance your professional network. It just may happen, however, that you have a potential group of critical friends right in front of you.  

If you are a Kaneland teacher interested in learning with those who support your educational beliefs, consider a book study together.  Listed here are a few sets of books that may be a perfect choice for you to get started. If you are interested, reply in the comments section of this blog post as to what title you and your group of four or less would like to read.  Also, kindly tell us how many copies you would like based on the numbers provided.  There is only one set of each title, and this is a first come, first served opportunity.  Please pay attention to what has already been claimed. In your comment, please identify the names of your group and the title you are requesting.  Your group will receive a confirmation email.  Happy reading!

When They Already Know it: How to Extend and Personalize Student Learning in a PLC at Work by Mark Weichel, Blane McCann, and Tami Williams

Students Taking Charge in K-5 Classrooms by Nancy Sulla

Building Executive Function: The Missing Link to Student Achievement by Nancy Sulla

6 thoughts on “How Does Reading Shape You as a Person?

• Great! I will send you a copy. I know Chris already has a copy— so there are 4 copies left for others.